python gui rant

Carl Caulkett carlca at dircon.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 17:48:23 EST 2002

On 13 Nov 2002 09:47:16 GMT, bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote:

Hi Bengt,

---8<---

>Your mention of Delphi made me recall that you can right click on a gui form
>and select 'view as text' from the popup menu, and you get to see all the
>parameters that define your layout. E.g. a default form with one button dropped
>on it near the top left:
>
>object Form1: TForm1
>  Left = 200
>  Top = 108
>  Width = 544

---8<---

Hmmm. It occurs to me that the items that appears in a Delphi form
(including events) are published properties of the visual controls on
that form. This means that they can be traversed using RTTI (Run Time
Type Information) and could be used to dynamically build a Python/wx
script. As you mention elsewhere, Delphi supports the use of Anchors
which, along with Constraints and the Align property, should provide
the kind of resiable forms that decent thinking people expect <g>.

My only problem is that, while I'm pretty good at the Delphi side of
things, my wx knowledge is limited at the moment. It would be a good
incentive to improve, though. I think I feel a little project coming
on ...

--
Carl