do you guys help newbies??

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Nov 28 18:06:00 EST 2002

Brad Hards <bhards at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 03:20, Simon Brunning wrote:
>> > Any ideas to make it more reliable ?
>>
>> See <http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue83/evans.html>.
> Reading this pointed out the value of a validator. If you want input in a
> particular form, it is probably better to not let the user do anything else,
> rather than let them do an entry, then explain what they did wrong, then let
> them try again.
>
> Anyone got a class that can do generic validation, without using one of the
> GUIs?
[going more offtopic]

Zope 3 has something in the works called 'Schema'. It's probably more
than you're asking for as it is a special kind of interface, but it
can do generic validation.

Conversion of user input is however left to the 'Forms' package as different
UI systems (web, various GUIs, text) have different widgets that deliver
results of a different type (web form input is typically string data,
while a GUI toolkit may have special widgets for inputting integers or
dates). Schema only do validation.

Anyway, while there's code this is hard to use in isolation right now
and mostly vaporware. But I just felt like rambling. :)

http://cvs.zope.org/Zope3/lib/python/Zope/Schema/

http://cvs.zope.org/Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/Forms/

Regards,

Martijn