A really bad idea.

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Nov 15 08:36:10 EST 2002

[Erik Max Francis]

> "Simon Wittber (Maptek)" wrote:

> > I disagree.  C is a very simple language.

> The C language itself is a fairly straightforward language, but
> summarizing that in eight pages does not do it much justice.  [...]
> Comparing a Python reference of 120 or so pages to a "C/C++" reference
> of 16 pages is comparing apples and oranges, and says absolutely nothing
> about the relative size or complexity of any of these languages.

I might not be fully singing with the choir here, but I do not find that
C is a simple language.  It has fairly intricate points here and there,
and I guess there are very, very few people in this crowd, and in many
other crowds as well, truly able to reply correctly to any question about
C, the language, not even considering its libraries.

C++ as a language is a slightly more regular than C, so it might be
slightly easier in that respect, but it is also much more complex, so
all summed, C++ is undoubtedly a difficult language.

No doubt to me that Python is an easier language, one can learn most of
it quickly, and run quite a long while on that knowledge.  But really
knowing Python, deeply, inside out, is a challenge in itself: there is a
great deal of details to know.  So, despite Python allows us to be much
more efficient and productive than with other languages, I would never
go as far as saying that Python is fully easy.