ANNOUNCE: tclpython-2.1

Jean-Luc Fontaine jfontain at free.fr
Tue Nov 12 07:03:39 EST 2002

### CHANGES ###

--- version 2.1 ---
- tclpython2 renamed to tclpython and updated for Python 2.2.1 as found
  in a Redhat 8.0 distribution
- tclpython (for Python 1.5) dropped
- prevent automatic 'import site' on a new thread, since it makes the
  program hang

errors from Python were not always caught and properly reported to the
  Tcl interpreter
tclpython2 binary rpm was wrongly compiled against another
  installation on my computer, which caused string I/O module loading
  failure and a core dump

### README ###

tclpython version 2.1: a Python package for Tcl

This package allows the execution of Python (version 2.2) code from a
Tcl interpreter, as in:

    package require tclpython
    set interpreter [python::interp new]
    $interpreter eval {print("Hello World")}
    python::interp delete $interpreter

You can actually create several Python interpreters this way, if the
tclpython package was linked against a Python library compiled with
threads support, otherwise only 1 Python interpreter can exist at a
time.

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License as
published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version.

This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

###

you may find it now at my homepage:

http://jfontain.free.fr/tclpython-2.1.tar.gz
http://jfontain.free.fr/tclpython-2.1-1.i386.rpm