Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 12:09:29 EST 2002

A. Lloyd Flanagan wrote:
>>In summary, Lisp's problem is that it had no BDFL.
>>

> Exactly.

BDFLs are great, but (somehow) Lispers got together and managed to carve
out Common Lisp and an ANSI spec for it. That's our BDFL.

> In addition, Lisp proponents have historically been
> contemptous of attempts to run efficiently on available hardware,

Well, the present is part of history, so this is wrong. Every CL
compiles, including optimizations, and in fact some CLs /only/ compile:
what seems like an interpreter hides compile-on-the-fly.

> In addition, I think Common Lisp killed a lot of Lisp's momentum.

No, this was important to its second life. It took many microscopic
communities and made them into one tiny community (which at least has
the critical mass to survive and support many vendors). And the CL spec,
like I said, is our BDFL.

> Much of Lisp's power comes from the application of just a few basic
> language elements;

True, but I am not sure I would like to do without in CL.

> CL added an incredible amount of complexity in the
> process of including each and every favorite feature of all the major
> players in the Lisp market.

well, that's how you bring divergent branches back together, but i
disagree that /a lot/ translates to incredibly complex. I was very
productive days after starting on CL. All that changed as I learned more
and more was that my code became better and I became even more productive.

>  Check out Guy Steele's Common Lisp.
> Python has the power but hasn't (yet at least) been drowned in
> complexity.

Give it time. :)

btw, I am here because I just started porting a little CL hack of mine
to Python, thought I'd check out clp.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc