lisp scheme lush python etc.

Aaron Watters aaron at reportlab.com
Tue Nov 12 10:54:01 EST 2002

> It seems to me that Lush (http://lush.sourceforge.net) has the potential to be really useful.
> And, the developers mention "bindings to the JavaVM API and to the Python C API"
> (as I can see, this is yet not here, but things are rapidly changing in CVS everyday).
> The symbiosis of Lisp and Python can be very interesting...
>

>                                                     Mike

Well I got curious and looked at Lush.  It seems that if you
are interested in using an experimental language only on Linux
Lush could be interesting, but I'm going back to (stackless)
python after I write this.

I abandoned Lisps and scheme for Python about a decade ago
(with misgivings) primarily because
   0) portability and stability
   1) libraries and portable extension framework
   2) it's friendly to other software
      (from above and below and anywhere else)
   3) the syntax doesn't stink
      (but if it was done over I'd add brackets)
   4) it's easy enough for noneggheads
   5) Everything I liked to do that was easy
      in Lisps was also easy (and clearer too) in
      Python. (ymmv)
It seems to me that most similar languages still
fail on at least one of the above.  (1,3,5) are very
much judgement calls, of course.

The major thing that is missing, of course is some sort of
(optional, inferred) type checking.  I'm also getting
nervous about bloat...

my 2c.  -- Aaron Watters

---
Never eat anything bigger than your head. -Kliban