Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Nov 8 21:17:10 EST 2002

David Eppstein <eppstein at ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> The most important similarity I see is that in both languages,
> values have types but variables are untyped, but that was also true in
> radically different languages such as Snobol and APL; is that really
> enough to conclude that Python and Lisp are more like each other than
> anything else?

The biggest lisp-like thing I see in Python is that from the point of
view of what a container can hold, data and code (and classes, and
modules, and types) are the same kind of thing.  A "def" statement is
really just a definition of a lambda body and an assignment of that to a
name (variable) all rolled into one.

That being said, I agree with David; only a computer scientist
interested in language theory would consider Python and Lisp to be
similar.