Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 10 17:46:39 EST 2002

Pascal Costanza fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 10 November
2002 05:45 am:

> I guess you are referring to "car", "cdr" and the like. They're
> actually not funny but very useful. ("car" returns the first element

        As I recall, they also derive from the hardware that LISP was first
implemented on -- C)ontents A)ddress R)egister, and C)ontents D)ata
R)egister (or some variation thereof). Something to the effect that the
original machine storage unit (words) effectively held two pointers,
accessed as address and data...