Foot in mouth disease

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Nov 2 05:14:39 EST 2002

Aahz wrote:

> So I've been having a friendly argument for a long time with a friend of
> mine who's a real Java booster.  The current iteration was sparked by a
> discussion of extreme programming, where along the way I repeated what
> some people here have mentioned about Python being easier to refactor
> than Java.  She asked me what -- if any -- Java-based tools were used by
> the experienced Java programmers who made that claim.  She thinks that
> those tools are superior to plain text editors (which are really all
> that's needed for Python).

I've tried the various Emacs packages for refactoring -- forgot the names --
java, and I didn't like it. With Java, refactoring is, for me, mostly a
matter of renaming, moving stuff and deleting stuff. Jikes will tell me
what to do next. Having the Antipatterns book helps in refactoring Java,
too.

With Python, I'm using grep as my main refactoring tool -- but I'm trying
really hard to get into the habit of using bicyclerepairman (from emacs),
which seems superior the Java tools I have used.