Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 21 13:47:40 EST 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Dylan has macros too.

yeah, but not quite like CL. But I am out of my depth. The gang on
c.l.l. would have better answers.

One thing I can tell you is that I /love/ during the rather prosaic task
of editing being able to instantly select a sexpr small or large, and as
one can imagine this tends to come up a lot because sexprs naturally
form integrated wadges of semantics.

> So isn't "major source" at least an overbid, if "I'm
> not far off" in stating that a language with a totally different syntax
> can "capture much" of the same capabilities?

I was being nice! No, seriously, Dylan has GC, GFs, MI, macros to a
degree, static but optional typing -- but no unhygienic macros which can
actually be cool, and... I cannot speak for the author of "major
source", I wager it comes down to: the list of things one cannot do
without sexprs may be short, but they are vital to the spirit of CL.
Again, tho, Major Source should speak for themself. :)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc