larry larrye2000 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 8 18:48:59 EST 2002

oleg_inconnu at myrealbox.com (Oleg) wrote in message news:<3d5b5ad8.0211080454.50bc6128 at posting.google.com>...
> Hi
>
> I don't know much about Python, but I looked at this comparison
> between Python and Common Lisp (
> http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html ), and I couldn't help but
> wonder why Python is popular, while Common Lisp and Scheme aren't?
>
> Oleg

I think the same could be asked about Perl vs Python:
Why is Perl so much more popular than Python?

Another question that could be asked about Lisp is:
Most people it seems have nothing good to say about lisp:"it's hard to
read,it's slow, nobody uses it, it's hard to learn etc, etc".
Lisp is constantly being bashed
and yet Lisp has survived for over 40 years and several companies
(Franz, Xanalys, Digitool)
seem to make a profit selling lisp compilers. SOMEBODY is using Lisp.
If lisp is such a crummy language why has it survived at all for so
long?
Why do SOME people think Lisp is a fantastic programming langugae?
Are we missing something?