secure sockets

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Fri Nov 22 18:37:21 EST 2002

adrian wrote:
> hi,
>
> i need to use use urllib with an https url i.e. using secure sockets.
> I'm on win32 with version 2 python. apparently i need to build python
> with the secure socket option turned on but i can't find out how i
> turn this option on. also do i have to build the whole of python or
> just the socket dll? or is there an easier way to do this using a
> third party dll?
>
> any help very much appreciated.

I used to offer a SSL-aware socket.pyd for Windows on my homepage. But
it went offline and I don't have new webspace, yet. So for the
meantime, I've put the really interesting pieces on the site of one
Sourceforge project I'm involved in.

The page you'll be interested in is

    http://pypgsql.sourceforge.net/misc/python-ssl.html

Do as described there and HTTPS urls will just work with urllib,
urllib2, etc.

-- Gerhard