Does Python (or psyco) already do this optimisation?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Nov 21 08:29:35 EST 2002

"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> writes:

> Okay.  That answers whether base Python (non-psyco) currently does
> this. Thank-you for confirming what I'd assumed regarding the current
> operation.
>
> Any idea (anyone) whether the outlined approach has been attempted for
> global-variable access optimisation?  i.e. is this an explored and
> deemed-dead path, or something new?

Neither :) There are some patches that do roughly what you're talking
about on sf -- I think, I'd have to admit I haven't read any of the
proposals especially closely -- but noones working on them actively
right now.  If you have time, picking one of them up and working it
into being ready for inclusion would be appreciated, I think.  Though
it might be getting a bit late for 2.3.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Remember - if all you have is an axe, every problem looks
  like hours of fun.                                        -- Frossie