Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Nov 22 16:55:46 EST 2002

Matt Gerrans <mgerrans at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I disagree.    I've learned a number of languages and Python was by far the
> fastest.   This was probably due to the fact that it is not just easy to
> learn, but also fun.

But that might indicate Python was not your first programming language.
Python is very easy to pick up if you have some experience with programming
languages already; I can attest to that too. But if you're new to programming
altogether it will take longer to assimilate all kinds of concepts. When I
learned Python I knew about objects and references and garbage collection
and functions and arguments and local and global variables and naming
conventions and design patterns and module separation and namespaces already.

If you have to learn all of that and everything I didn't mention to boot,
you're going to take a while.

Regards,

Martijn