Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun Nov 24 18:20:41 EST 2002

Pascal Costanza wrote:
>>>I mean, Python is already more advanced than Java.
>>
>> Oh, I agree with this, but that's not the point.
>
> Er, I have thought that's exactly the point. What do you need a
> backstage language for that is less powerful than the frontstage
> language?

The first Lisp interpreter was coded in machine language.  The first Python
interpreter was coded in C.  Examples could easily be multiplied.  The
lower-level, faster language is often used as the "backstage" (not a term
I'm familiar with, but I think I'm interpreting your meaning correctly).  I
think (not sure) that the first Prolog interpreter was coded in Lisp,
presumably with similar intentions.  So, I'm not quite sure what your
question is meant as -- rhetorical, perhaps?

> (I guess that Jython is useful to take advantage of the Java
> APIs and its platform independence.)

That's a typical reason to choose Jython rather than CPython, yes -- being
able to take advantage of existing Java-coded libraries (including the APIs
of the various Java-based standards), and/or of platforms able to run Java
bytecode (including various JVMs).

Alex