Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Sun Nov 10 02:20:20 EST 2002

On Saturday 09 November 2002 17:46, Pascal Costanza wrote:

> The core is extremely simple:
>
> This is a piece of program in Lisp: (gethash "key" table)
> This is some data in Lisp, a list: '(gethash "key" table)
>
> In the first example, we have a call of the function gethash with
> arguments "key" and table. In the second example, we have a list with
> the three elements gethash, "key" and table.
>
> (BTW, this is exactly the reason why Lisp has this seemingly strange
> syntax - you can easily switch between program representation and data
> representation. On the conceptual level, Lisp makes no difference
> between data and programs.)

I have picked up lisp a few times and put it back down each time.  As I become
a better programmer I find lisp makes more sense.  The prefix thing no longer
bothers me because I just parse it as a function call and not algebra like I
learned in school.

What always bothers me though is the quote syntax.  '(this text) is different
from (this text).  I find that when reading code it is very, very easy to
miss that silly quote.  Sure you just learn to look for it but it is still
what irks me most.