Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 27 12:33:18 EST 2002

>Not really. It wasn't my experience, but it was pretty close. We jumped
>right in with Lisp. So we were learning a new style of programming,
>functional programming, which we had to wrap our brains around.

Which does Lisp a disservice, in a way. Common Lisp is an OO language
amongst other things, and this also so happens to be the predominant
way that modern Lisp programmers use Lisp.

>For me, what turned me off of Lisp as a student was the fact that I was
>simultaneously fighting an unfamiliar editor...

One of Lisp's _lethal_ failings is that anyone not using Emacs (or
something like Emacs) is a second class citizen. The decision to
require a programmer to use a special editor is a fatal one.

C//