Optik long help strings

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Thu Nov 7 19:31:10 EST 2002

Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I'm trying to use the Optik package for parsing command line options.
> However, I'm running into a problem overriding its line warping
> routines. I'd like the help to print something like:

>  -p, --pattern   Set pattern
>   'xx'  use the xx pattern
>   'yy'  use the yy pattern
>   ... more list of pattern options
>
> Seems that optik thinks it knows better where the new lines should go.
> Suggestions?

It's not really clear what you intend.  Either you're using hard tabs or
single spaces for indents; in any case, it's very subtle here.

Optik isn't currently set up to handle complex option descriptions (where
complex means anything other than a single flexible paragraph).  I suggest
you post to <optik-users at lists.sf.net>.  If this feature is really
important to you, delve into the code and submit a patch.

--
David Goodger  <goodger at python.org>  Open-source projects:
  - Python Docutils: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/