NEWBIE: Extending Python with C

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Nov 10 01:17:44 EST 2002

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 20:15:31 GMT, engsol at teleport.com wrote:

>On 9 Nov 2002 09:54:01 GMT, bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:48:35 GMT, engsol at teleport.com wrote:
>>
>>>I've read the books, tried some code, and I still just don't get it.
>>>
><snip>
>
>>Well, it depends on what kind of coupling you need between your python stuff and the c stuff.
>>Some variant of the above may do it, or not ;-) Need more definite requirement statement.
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>One example of the legacy requirement is: we have a custom plug-in card which needs to be
PCI? All done via IO ports or has DMA? Uses interrupts? Time-critical parts?

>loaded with data, then triggered to output the data stream to the system under test. The
>driver for the card works well, and it'd be nice to not have to rewrite it. The source can
How do you use "the driver" now? Are you saying "driver" just in the loose sense of any software
that lets you use some hardware in some way? Or do you really mean "driver" as in developed using
DDK or equivalent and put in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\whizzomatcard.sys? Or a privileged app?

>be recompiled as a DLL(?)  module...I think.  Or at the least as a library header
Why do you think you want to do that? (I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea, I'm just wondering
what leads you to think you may need to do that). How do you currently operate, and how do
you hope to operate, at the user interface level?

>file..again..I think.

It's still hard (for me anyway) to tell what your situation.

Regards,
Bengt Richter