More about simple question

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Nov 5 16:28:04 EST 2002

xinghua shi wrote:

> I still have another question. If I have a file named:
> foo.py. then how can I get an excetable, say foo?
> In C, I could use
> % gcc foo.c -o foo
>
> So how can I do similar in Python?
> %python foo.py -o foo
> doesn't work of course.

Give it a bangpath that points to Python as the first line:

	#!/usr/bin/env python

or maybe

	#!/usr/local/bin/python

and make it executable.  Then you can run it as ./foo.py.  If you prefer
to run it without the the .py extension, then just rename the file to
foo.  In UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems, executable scripts are
discerned by their bangpath, not by their file extension.

/  \ It is one thing to praise discipline, and another to submit to it.
\__/ Cervantes
    Rules for Buh / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/cards/buh.html
 The official rules to the betting card game, Buh.