python 2.2.2 install has unworking IDLE in windows 2000

nospam sumofan blah at blah.org
Fri Nov 29 17:03:12 EST 2002

I think I've been able to answer my own question on what the error is, but
yet without a resolution.

During the install, it has an Advanced settings button.  It basically is
asking do you want some files on C:\ or all on the directory of your
install.  (In my case E:\).  So i tried it once to E:\ and when that failed
once to C:\, just to rule it out as an error on my part.  No error windows
or anything but not working either.

loaded pythonwin extentions so I at least get a GUI tool replacement.  Yep,
Win2k sp3.
However, I did find the root cause.

I tried it again but this time from the command dos like window.  It gave
errors on Tk/Tcl not being found, although it's clearly installed on my
system from a previous interpreter.  It's possible that a previous Ruby
install which also has Tk/Tcl version is somehow not being allowed to work
with python or only works with Ruby.  Neither is the python install forcing
itself to install the Tk/Tcl version that works with python.  No Tk/Tcl
icons or links either.

Ruby is loaded in Cygwin with Tk/Tcl, so this looks more to be the issue
here than Windows 2000, and I'll focus my energies there for now.

thanks
sumofan

"Robin Becker" <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:u2ZKKiA32y59Ewi8 at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk...
> In article <OCEF9.7352$cx4.1204465 at news20.bellglobal.com>, nospam
> sumofan <blah at blah.org> writes
> >Hey,
> >
> >I've just installed python 2.2.2 and although the command line
interpreter
> >works okay, the IDLE gui doesn't even run.  I've loaded this both ways
under
> >Advanced settings, even checked Task Manager for hung processes.
Nothing.
> >Any ideas?  I can't find anything out there about it ;)
> >
> >TIA
> ...... I just tries starting idle.pyw from the command line and it came
> up fine. I have Python-2.2.2 & Win2k sp3. Which advanced settings are
> you using?
> --
> Robin Becker

---