Follow-up to: Complex numbers, abs resluts in ...

noyb soufle at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 11 14:04:26 EST 2002

I had previously posted the following:

**************************
I am trying to find out how to get the phase or angle of a complex
number in Python 2.2.  Yes, I have Numpy installed.

I have found how to get the magnitude of a complex number, use "abs".

I have also found how to get the real and imaginary parts but am
stumped by the angle.

I am using something like:

my_complex_variable = (a +bj)

and I can do

abs(my_complex_variable)

to get the magnitude.

I realize the angle is atan(b,a) but I need to use my_complex_variable
as input and not a,b.

Hope someone knows of a comand I am missing.

David
****************************

and Alex kindly replied:

****************************
import math
def phase(mcv):
    return math.atan2(mcv.imag, mcv.real)

I don't think there's any Python built-in that does this.

Alex

I should have explained that "mcv" is a rank 1 array and not a scalar.
atan2 does not seem to accept anything other than a scalar.   Is a
"for"
loop in my future?

David
(python neophyte)