Textbooks on Perl/Python

Alessandro Bottoni alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Sat Nov 2 07:00:54 EST 2002

Alle 10:55, sabato 2 novembre 2002, Alex Martelli ha scritto:
> > BTW, this would be an opportunity to write such a book, maybe as a
> > collective effort coordinated by the educational SIG (special interest
> > group) of python, maybe starting from the very good book of Alan Gauld.
> > This approach could cope with the small market available for the book.
>
> And where would you find the volunteers, experienced AND happy
> with both Perl and Python, to do the writing?  Quite a few
> Pythonistas do have Perl experience, but few have any _liking_
> for it (there are surely exceptions, such as our homonym who's
> now working for our previous employer, but I have my doubts that
> there are enough of them...).

Right! I was thinking to a book completely devoted to Python, actually.

> > (Here, I suppose you need a book devoted to programming with Perl or
> > Python, not a book on creating language interpreters).
>
> A book with a definitely-tiny market BUT perhaps enough enthusiasm
> level among prospective authors to make it a reality would indeed
> be one explaining how to write interpreters in C and Java, using
> Classic Python and Jython as the worked-out examples;-).

I agree. I bought a few different books regarding compiler and interpreters
building and I never found a really _usable_ one. It would be the kind of
work I greatly appreciate. I met (on the net) someone who was writing a book
on interpreter building based on Java (both as the implementation language
and the target one). I asked him about the expected publishing date two years
ago and he told me that it was late. Maybe now it is available...