windll event loop leaks

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Nov 14 07:26:20 EST 2002

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to implement a calldll/windll backend for the anygui
> project. I have working code, but it leaks so I'm looking for assistance
> with how one should program/debug such a loop.
>
> My test prog is a simple blank window. Using process explorer I can see
> that the working memory increases when I just move the mouse around over
> the window.
>
> For comparison I tried Sam Rushing's dynwin/button.py and lo and behold
> it also leaks.

Sounds like a leak in calldll?

So the only advice is to build a debug version and run it with a
debugging build of Python to either use

- the (undoumented) sys.getobjects() function to find leaking objects.
- or step through calldll's code with the MSVC debugger.

You should be able to find some messages on python-dev were Tim Peters
explains what getobjects() does.

Another approach ;-) would be to give up calldll/windll and try the
ctypes module - this way you would have me debugging the thing (in
case it leaks).

Thomas