F2PY problems

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Mon May 6 03:30:29 EDT 2002

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> :) The strength of your emphasize doesn't really matter. Both F2PY and
> SciPy are products of volunteers and one way to speed up getting support
> to your needs is to volunteer yourself for testing and submitting
> patches if necessary. build_flib.py contains many examples how to add
> support for new compilers. Just copy, say, the NAG compiler class and
> adjust it to your F compiler.  In general, it is rather simple
> procedure if you know what Fortran compiler specific libraries are needed
> when building the extension module.
> If it works, you can send patches either to scipy-dev or f2py mailing
> lists.

I tried it, but I could not find the stuff where it searches for the
path (it is not that easy to find the dependencies). But I will try your
new version. I would do much more if I had the knowledge, so the best
what I can do is to present my wish-list.

> 2) There are number of other F90/95 compilers that you can try out for
> free and even to use for free under certain conditions:
>   Absoft  - has 14day trial version for Linux
>   Intel - has 30day free evaluation both for Windoza and Linux, for Linux
>     they also provide noncommercial unsupported compiler with unlimited
>     free usage (under certain conditions, of cource)
>   Compaq - has free Enthusiast and Education licence for non-commercial
>     use under Linux Alpha
>   NAG - has xx day trial versions, I think
>   Portland - has 15day trial version for various platforms
>   etc.
> In future, there will be also GNU g95 compiler available, maybe within a
> year or two.

No problem at all. I can easily log in to a Sun workstation if I like.
But I do also much (and honestly speaking: just almost anything in the
meantime) on my Windows laptop.

> And since Windoza users have afforded to buy Windows, I am presume that
> they can afford also one of the compilers above -- they are not that
> expensive.

Normally I do not have problems to buy software; I even paid the
Shareware for the Macintosh LaTeX CMacTeX in order to write my Master
Thesis.

Regards,
S. Gonzi