Message queueing

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Fri May 3 05:14:04 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:45:29PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> The BIG problem with the "rolling via SMTP" is that SMTP doesn't
> provide you _any_ kind of end-to-end guarantees on delivery.

Theoretically you are right. SMTP by itself does not guarantee
much of anything. But using something like the well (C-)written
highly modular 'qmail' on both sides might make it easy to be sure that
a message has been sent and received. You should prefer peer-to-peer
relaying instead of sending it through several hops.
I am pretty sure that you can get guarantees without having to resort
to implement TCP over mail :-)

I admit that i haven't tried such a setup myself. But i would definitely
give it a look especially because qmail is - apart from highly
secure - fast and very easy to configure.

regards,

    holger