Music, binary output from server?

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Sat May 11 21:04:54 EDT 2002

"Philipp Lenssen" <lenssen at hitnet.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in
news:abkali$5ob$1 at nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE:

> Is there any way to programmatically create e.g. MIDI output via
> parameters? Could I include like the following on a webpage:
> <bgsound="http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/midi.py?notes=cdfcdf" />

i don't use background music on my pages because i don't like it that much,
but it seems reasonable that any URL should do, including those pointing to
a CGI.

> Well I'm sure there must be a way, but has this been done before, are
> there open source libraries? (I'm not mainly concerned about MIDI, any
> music type that works in popular browsers should be OK.)

wav is simple to generate too (see http://www.wotsit.org for descriptions)
the other problem is that you would have to make up the waveforms for the
instruments yourself.

i think midi would be simpler to start with and i'm sure i saw references
to a module on this group some time ago. try a search on groups.google.com.

this seems like a good start (one line URL):
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=python+midi&hl=en&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-
8&selm=199610240614.QAA01745%40jetsam.phm.gov.au&rnum=6

(he, even the midi.tar.gz link in the above article works and its dated
back from 1996 :-)

grüsschen
chris

--