Python for Statistic

Alan James Salmoni salmonia at cf.ac.uk
Fri May 10 09:09:14 EDT 2002

gimar wrote:
> I need to know the best way to process data for statistical calculations.
> Is there a reliable module out there that I could use for finding median,
> chi square, std deviation, T Student ... ?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> ciao
>
> GPaolo

There is a module written by Gary Strangman called "stats.py" - go to
http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/Neural_Systems_Group/gary/python.html or
try the "math" section of the vaults of parnassus. It has most of the
stats stuff you need accessible from either lists or numpy arrays.

Just in case, I'm writing a stats package called Salstat
(http://salstat.sunsite.dk) which does lots of this stuff but with a
funky (well, okay-ish!) GUI. Try the screenshots section - it even
appears to work under OSX! I've used this to test the stats module
against results from SPSS, StatView and Minitab, and it appears to work
quite well apart from the Freidman chi square which I am working on
(although I may be calling it incorrectly).

Alan.