Zombie Threads (?)

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Fri May 3 12:35:28 EDT 2002

I'm using threads in Python on Linux.  It's a dynamic application so
threads are freely created and eventually terminate.

When I run PS I notice that there are a number of threads with a Zombie
status.

I know that with forked sub processes, the OS keeps the children around
until the parent waits.  For Apps that use forking -- there's a hack
where you insert an additional level of forking, so that the spawned
children have no direct parent and are cleaned up automatically by the
OS.

Is there an analogous trick with Python threading on Linux?  Or does
Python do something to minimize the number of zombie threads.

REgards

--jb

--
James J. Besemer  503-280-0838 voice