Python Enterprise Objects

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Thu May 9 01:34:21 EDT 2002

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> transmitted:
> On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 20:47, Wenshan Du wrote:
>> hi,all
>>   I like python very much, but I find that python is not very suitable
>> for enterprise application for now. So, I make a project named Python
>> Enterprise Objects for enterprise application at sourceforge.net. I
>> want it to be a replacement of J2EE, or Mirosoft .Net framework. Some
>> API will added. I need some advice about how to make this dream to
>> fact.
>
> Maybe a good place to start would be by writing a document to explain
> why enterprise objects are necessary, and how they differ from present
> Python facilities.  I haven't used Java myself, but I've tried more than
> once to figure out what J2EE was about.  Mostly I've just found endless
> buzzwords, but when people have tried to explain it without those it
> seems to come down to being a mechanism for distributing code.
>
> Anyway, Java makes a lot of fuss about a lot of things that Python just
> does, without any fuss.  So maybe you can explain what enterprise
> objects are, and why they are needed, and why you can't accomplish the
> same things with existing Python facilities.

J2EE seems mostly a way of letting Sun charge lots more in licensing
fees :-(.

More seriously, it tends to involve tighter integration between the
language environment and "database stuff" so that when you invoke
methods, they are rather more likely to be tied to objects that are
persistent even against fairly severe failure.

You start up the server again, and a lot of the objects will be able
to recover themselves.

The context for this sort of thing (frankly, _anything_ beyond "plain
old Java") needs to involve pointing a finger at what it is to be
applied to.

It would be worth "pointing fingers" and saying that an "Enterprise
Python" would involve things such as:
 -> Safe support for multithreading;
 -> Good support of transactional data stores (whether of SQL or
    Berkeley DB style).

Ensuring those sorts of things is quite different from "Robustifying
Java" projects...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/java.html