2**HUGENUMBER Why not optimise it?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri May 24 06:06:12 EDT 2002

Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > Do you feel like implementing Karatsuba multiplication in
> > longobject.c?  That might actually be some use...
>
> Although this was on the table two or three years ago,

I know.  I remember.  That thread was probably the first place I heard
of Karatsuba multiplication...

> and dissed as well, although cheap to implement.

I don't think it got dissed; as I recall Tim and yourself slung Python
versions around for a bit and then said "now who's going to translate
this into C for longobject.c?" whereupon the thread died very quickly.

Cheers,
M.
PS: longobject.c is surely the most horrible bit of source in the
    Python distribution.  I certainly wouldn't want to hack on it.

--
  Hmmm... its Sunday afternoon: I could do my work, or I could do a
  Fourier analysis of my computer's fan noise.