Python Cookbook (printed)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun May 5 03:14:26 EDT 2002

David Lees wrote:

> I saw an adv from O'Reilly this week that said July.

July makes sense to me -- we (O'Reilly's editor, D. Ascher and me) are
putting the finishing touches on it and OSCON (O'Reilly's Open Source
Convention) should be the venue for its full-fledged launch (I do believe
OSCON is in July).

>> Does anyone reading here (Alex?) have any info on the Python Cookbook,
>> the O'Reilly book rather than the ASPN site?  It is listed on Amazon as
>> being
>> available April 2002 but seems to have disappeared from the O'Reilly

Yep.  April was the original target, and as those who were at IPC10 in
early Feb know, we did have a draft copy and even a pretty marketing
brochure by that time.

But then we reviewed the situation and decided three more months of work
would let us enhance the book substantially -- structure the discussion /
solution / see-also sections of each recipe in more complete and systematic
ways close to other O'Reilly Cookbooks; add a few "elementary" recipes that
nobody had bothered posting to the site but are really helpful in making
the book useful to Python beginners as well; ensure good coverage of issues
related to Python 2.2 (particularly the new-style object model).  In the
light of how the Cookbook was in early February and how it is now, I think
we made the right decision -- although of course the opinion that matters
in the end is that of readers (and in a couple of months, when y'all can
hold the book in your hands, I'm sure you'll let us know about it!-).

Alex