streaming audio

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Mon May 6 10:30:14 EDT 2002

On 6 May 2002, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> I am looking for some information on the basics of audio streaming, or
> any sort of data streaming really.
>
> I want to create an app to stream audio around a LAN and really have
> know Idea on where to start.

If possible, avoid actual streaming protocols as they are quite convoluted
and proprietary. As long as the client end of the connection supports it
and you have a fast enough connection (and you do since you're using a
LAN), a simple progressive download is the way to go.

In any case, Edna is a Python MP3 server (http://edna.sourceforge.net)
whose source code is very easy to follow; that might be a great place to
start.

-Dave