sgmllib too slow

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed May 8 02:08:04 EDT 2002

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart at bmsi.com> writes:
>
>> What is the recommended way to make distutils override a standard
>> python package with a drop-in replacement such this?
>
> The recommended way is not to attempt overriding standard Python
> packages. Name them differently, instead.

How would it help in the case in point?  Say the new sgmllib has
identical functionality to the one distributed with Python but is
10 times faster.  Why _shouldn't_ I be able to install it instead
of the distributed one?  How would installing it under a different
name help with all existing places (including in the standard
library) that today "import sgmllib"?

Alex