[Newbie Question] Matching directory content with variable

Marcus Klein marcus1 at marcus1.de
Sat May 11 12:05:35 EDT 2002

Chris Liechti tasterte am Samstag, 11. Mai 2002 17:48 folgendes:

>>     fname = PATHTOFILE + f
>
> you should use os.path.join to make paths...

Ok, i'll try it.

>>     lfiles = os.listdir(PATHTOFILE)
>
> listdir gives back a list of strings and you should call it
> with a path to directory not with a file.

Sorry, this was a bit misunderstanding, it's indeed a path to a dir.

> what you realy want is os.path.exists().

Thanx.

>>     lfile = re.compile(f, re.M).match(lfiles, 1)
> you don't need to use re.compile for that. there is re.match()
> compile is useful when you store the compiled regex in a variable
> when you use it often.

I just changed it into 'search', because it's not at the beginning of that
string.

> the exception is because you feed a list to it and not a string. use
> the appropriate functions (i.e. exists) from os.path and you don't
> have to worry.

Ok, i see, will change that.

> you should use the functions from os and os.path to manupulate paths and
> files. they save you from issues with '\' and '/', they work cross
> platform and save you from a lot of trouble anyway.

i just read the documentation of os.path and thank you alot, pointing me
there :-)

marcus

--
sick nature ?