Creating C modules for Python under Cygwin

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun May 5 12:49:21 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> So, it's PERFECTLY feasible on Windows for a DLL to access symbols that
> are defined in the executable that loads said DLL, by any of several
> means.

That's very interesting indeed. In http://python.org/sf/551093, Jason
Tischler argues that you absolutely must build Python with a shared
Python DLL, or else it can't possibly work. I thought this was
overstated, but didn't dare question the "common knowledge" that you
can only link against DLLs, not executables.

> I really can't see that.  A standalone python.exe might be less than
> optimal for other reasons

I wonder what those "other reasons" could be, though. What exactly
*is* the rationale for Python using a DLL on Windows?

Regards,
Martin