Multibyte Character Surport for Python

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sat May 11 11:49:00 EDT 2002

<snip>

> Apart from you, nobody else agrees with the approach "let's make it
> part of the library instead of part of the language". To most users,
> the difference appears not to matter (including myself, except that I
> think making it part of the language simplifies maintenance of the
> feature).
>
> I don't consider it evil to provide users with options: If UTF-8 is
> technically superior (which I agree it is), it will become the default
> text encoding of the future, anywith, with or without this PEP. Notice
> that the PEP slightly favours UTF-8 over other encodings, due to
> support of the UTF-8 signature.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
> --

I can provide any number of people who consider, as a matter of
principal, that it is _always_ better to make it part of the
library and not part of the language.  Some of these people will
also argue that it is bad to provide users with options.  This is
the 'lean and elegant' school of language design, and they are
extrmely consistent in liking tiny languages with large libraries.

Laura Creighton