urllib, urllib2, httplib -- Begging for consolidation?

Amit Patel amitp at Xenon.Stanford.EDU
Sun May 12 15:43:23 EDT 2002

 Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.net> wrote:

| Longer comment: there seems to be a fair amount of functionality
| implemented in one or the other module which isn't readily apparent,
| although I often plead ignorance of the contents of the standard
| library. I also believe that the URL parsing module (urlparse) might
| also need some work, given recent complaints about "file:" URLs.
|
| Paul

Examples of weird module placement: cgi.escape() performs HTML
escaping.  I'd expect HTML escaping to be in htmllib instead of cgi.
And I'd expect that cgi.escape() would perform some escaping for CGI--
like URL escaping except that it'd make spaces into plusses (this
function is in urllib, called "quote_plus" instead of something like
"escape").  And url/cgi escaping isn't in urllib2, only urllib.

	- Amit

Amit J Patel, Computer Science Department, Stanford University
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/