Grabbing data from my motherboard thermistor?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Fri May 24 14:31:31 EDT 2002

If you snoop around enough, I think you'll find that the thermistor data is
available on some I/O port address(es), which is implemented as part of the
north bridge/south bridge controller chips on your mobo. The good news with
Win/ME, is that you can reach in and grab data from an I/O port address with
impunity. The bad news is that you can reach into any protected element of
your software or hardware with Win/ME ;-)

You can probably find the port address(es) either in the mobo documentation
or via something in Window's "settings" dialog. You should keep in mind that
the data available from the port(s) is probably going to be raw data that
will need to be processed to yield something resembling a Fahrenheit or
Celsius temperature. That information may be available on the controller
chip manufacturer's website - probably Via. Otherwise, contact their tech
support. An alternative source could be looking at Linux kernel sources to
see how they get the information.

I don't know of any pythonic "input port"/"output port", but that doesn't
mean they don't exist. You might want to check the Vaults of Parnassus at
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/. Actually, looking there just now, I see a
package called "winioport" at
http://py.vaults.ca/parnassus/apyllo.py/990075885.195097684.92515664

David LeBlanc