Why no open(f, "w").write()?

Isaac To kkto at csis.hku.hk
Wed May 29 22:57:30 EDT 2002

    Kragen> "Delaney, Timothy" <tdelaney at avaya.com> writes:
    >> You should never rely on automatic freeing of *any* resources unless
    >> it is guaranteed. Always explicitly free resources when you have
    >> finished with them.

    Kragen> You mean, assume you have no garbage collector?  If I had to do
    Kragen> that, my Python code would get a *lot* more complex.

Garbage collection is for collecting memory.  So for memory matters, you can
(and actually, must) give up the control to the garbage collector.  For
anything else, you *must* do it explicitly.  Surely you shouldn't lock a
mutex and remove the reference to the mutex, hoping that the garbage
collector will unlock it quickly enough.

Regards,
Isaac.