Problems importing _sre w/VC7-compiled Python 2.1

RoadRunner eNews audballio at yahoo.com
Sat May 18 14:54:18 EDT 2002

I've successfully built Python 2.1 with VC7, but I'm having a problem using
the resulting binaries, namely _sre.pyd (and _d.pyd).  Specifically, when I
attempt to 'import re', the result is a Traceback stating 'ImportError:
dynamic module does not define init function (init_sre)'.   Everything works
fine under VC6, and ...\modules\_sre.c definitely contains init_sre(), so it
has to be something VC7 related.

Has anybody run into this problem?  I'd appreciate it if somebody
in-the-know out there could build Python 2.1 with VC7  (you'll need to apply
Mark Hammond's largeint patch), run the interpreter from the command line,
attempt to import re and share the results.  I'm no Python guru, so am at a
loss on how to continue at this point.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
David Aldridge