Fatal Python error: GC object already in linked list

Jimmy Retzlaff jimmy at retzlaff.com
Fri May 17 16:08:24 EDT 2002

Neil Schemenauer [mailto:nas at python.ca] wrote:
> Jimmy Retzlaff wrote:
> > In 2.2.1 the problem is still there, but it's not as consistent.
>
> Have you tried setting the GC threshold low (e.g. 5)?  That sometimes
> helps trigger these kinds of bugs.  You should also build with
Py_DEBUG
> defined.  That often helps too.  If you could, also try the CVS
version
> of Python.  pymalloc is now enabled by default and it does some some
> extra checks if Py_DEBUG is defined.

The GC threshold doesn't seem to hasten the failure in my case, but it
sure does put the CPU to work! I assumed you meant calling
gc.set_threshold or setting the corresponding threshold defaults in the
underlying C code.

I was building 2.2.1 with Py_DEBUG, but not pymalloc. So I tried CVS
Python with pymalloc enabled as you suggested - same problems as 2.2.1.

But that gave me the idea to try CVS wxPython, which made the problem
disappear, even under Python 2.2. Not sure that shows causality, but I'm
willing to assume it for now. :)

Thanks for the ideas.

Jimmy