streaming audio

Rob Brown-Bayliss rob at zoism.org
Mon May 6 17:49:45 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 10:29, brueckd at tbye.com wrote:

> That might come close, but instead of syncing the play of the songs, you'd
> be syncing the request-buffer-and-then-play of the songs, so you still
> might end up with clients off by a second.

I was think more along the lines of the clients tell the server they
have a sufficient buffer of the song then the when all clients are ready
the server tells them all to play.  Sort of like "We all have a 3 second
lead, lets go" approach.

> If you have/write a client plugin to your music player to receive
> multicast

I breifly looked at multicast, but there appear to be several
"standards" rather than a standard :o)

> All this is great stuff if you're looking for an interesting project
> that'll end up being useful, but if you're mostly interested in getting it
> done then I'd imagine that there are some pre-built, non-Python, open
> source solutions out there that'd be easier

I had a breif look on freshmeat and a google serach, but all I could
find were mp3 servers and expensive hardware.

--

  R  Brown-Bayliss