OT: Crazy Programming

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed May 15 02:20:32 EDT 2002

Greg Ewing wrote:

> If buildings were built like computer programs, every
> building would be unique, not quite like any other
> building ever built before, and using experimental
> new materials and building techniques. And before
> we'd got all the bugs out of one building, we'd be
> charging ahead with the next one. Under those
> conditions, I don't think the building industry would
> have much of a reputation for reliability in their
> products!

Bridge building is much simpler than programming. For one thing the
customer knows what they want. They choose one bridge from one of
several in a competition. A model of the bridge can be built in
Cardboard so it can be seen.

And when the bridge is halfway done the customeres rarely asks for the
bridge to be 10 meters longer and with 4 lanes instead of 3.

If we only made the same kind of software for years and had been thought
in school exactly how to build that kind of software I would bet that it
would be great software.

regards Max M