no buffer space available error

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu May 9 01:07:50 EDT 2002

sebastien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying a program that scan all the machines in the network that are ftp server.
> After about 50 to 100 scan, I get the message :
>
> no buffer space available.

You're opening too many sockets at the same time.  At least, that's
what we just went through writing a little client/server test utility
running under Win98, which failed with that message after about 45
open client sockets were active.

Modify the program to limit the number of sockets that are opened
at any one time, and/or make sure you close the existing sockets.
I believe a call to .shutdown() may be useful to make sure they
really go away when you close them, but I haven't finished the
analysis yet.

-Peter