duh - which Python?

kosh at aesaeion.com kosh at aesaeion.com
Wed May 1 17:55:58 EDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Nick Belshaw wrote:

> Hi - I would be very grateful for a little advice.
>
> I am configuring a new Linux RedHat7.2 box and have become
> confused about which Python vesion I should go for.
>
> I need it to run with Zope, Pmw, Blt, Postgres - at least......
>
> I have been using old stuff with 1.5.2 but thought an upgrade would be
> 'fun'
>
> - however !!
> I saw a note saying Zope crashed with 2.1.3

2.1.3 fixed a problem in previous versions of python that caused zope to
crash. 2.1.3 has been very stable for me and it did fix the zope crashes.
:)

Overall I would recommend using python 2.1.3 since it is the most stable
and includes more of the newer features. You could also do 2.2.1 but as
you stated that has some problems of its own for you right now. However
zope will NOT run with python 2.2.x so if you are doing zope then do
python 2.1.3 and zope 2.5.1 and do a source version of zope not a binary
install of it. That should work well for you and is very similar to how I
have things setup on my debian box.