degrees and radians.

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Mon May 6 01:52:33 EDT 2002

Simon Foster graced us by uttering:
> "Tim Hammerquist" <tim at vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:
>> Operating under the fairly certain assumption that (2*PI) radians
>> = 360 degrees, I simply replace pi with 180 degrees in the classic
>> geometric functions. Thus:
>
> I see what you're driving at, but the fact that 2*pi radians = 360
> degrees still does not change the value of pi (thankfully)!

No, pi is thankfully constant.  I was just taking a misunderstanding to
its illogical conclusion.

>> To satisfy your question, however, my value of pi, stored permanently
>> in my brain to six significant digits since Mr. Chatfield's calc
>> class in high school: 3.14159 ;)
>
> I have 3.141592653

Nice. Should be more than enough, considering many professors accept
(22/3) as a reasonable value (~3.142857...)

> C:\>python
> Python 2.2 (#28, Dec 21 2001, 12:21:22) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> 3.1415926535897931

Anyway, that's what we need! A Python (or, maybe, Ruby) interpreter
embedded in our brain. Gods, wouldn't that make bill-paying easier!

Tim Hammerquist
--
Randal can write one-liners again.  Everyone is happy, and peace spreads
over the whole Earth.