Multibyte Character Surport for Python

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 15 03:08:05 EDT 2002

    Alex> OTOH, I think identifiers have a better track record.  Yes,
    Alex> a fraction of them are unhelpful or (more rarely) actively
    Alex> misleading -- more often, however, i find them quite
    Alex> informative and helpful in understanding what's going on in
    Alex> code.

In fact, I suspect you're saying something stronger than "more often,"
more like "the great majority."  However, this is less true in code
written by Japanese; it is fairly often true that English vocabulary
plus Japanese syntax leads to something actively misleading.  I agree
with you about hiding comments, but occasionally such identifiers are
disentangled by seeing a more extensive comment written in the same
non-English syntax.

I suspect that your argument about usefulness of English identifiers
is not at all robust outside of native speakers of European languages.