string module

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed May 22 05:52:20 EDT 2002

holger krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:

[readline gripes]

> > > Agreed. There's not much I can do about readline (I'm not going to
> > > rewrite the whole thing!)
> >
> > Well, as you probably know, that's what *I* did...
> >
> > pyrepl hasn't seen much of my time of late, sadly.
>
> i just gave it a test. very interesting! it'a pity i am always
> using vi-bindings (even in xemacs :-).

Hey, do you want to write vi-bindings for pyrepl?  It should be
possible (it was meant to be, any way).  I'm addicted to emacs-mode
bindings so it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting it right (though I
am getting better at using vi as an editor).

> btw, Fernando already knows that i rewrote the rlcompleter module
> to be a lot more comfortable. It works very differently from
> the old rlcompleter by tokeninzing/parsing/evaluating subexpressions.
> My current development version (requires readline :-) is here:
>
>      http://home.trillke.net/~hpk/rlcompleter2.py
>
> just import it on a pure python installation (with readline available)
> and play around :-)

Wow, that's a peice of work!

> If you want to continue development i'd definitely try to integrate my
> rlcompleter2 module into pyrepl (and learn some emacs-bindings again :-).

I would imagine that it would be *much* easier to do the kind of
things you've done in rlcompleter2 for pyrepl, owing to it being
"Python all the way down".  Though you might need to worry about
multiple lines and stuff.

Hmm, so many things to worry about, so little time...

Cheers,
M.

--
  I sense much distrust in you.  Distrust leads to cynicism, cynicism
  leads to bitterness, bitterness leads to the Awareness Of True