Newbie Database.

Roger haaserdnospam at hotpop.com
Tue May 28 18:20:38 EDT 2002

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 28 May 2002 05:38, Gillou wrote:
>
>>"Corey Woodworth" <schitz0boy at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
>>24d8090a.0205270854.6cadc50b at posting.google.com...
>>

>>>How should I save my database file for instance? I was thinking a text
>>>file full of strings like this perhaps:
>>>
>>>songname::artist::performer::filename:: ... ...
>>
>>You'd better use a real database engine rather than a flat formatted file.
>>"Many to 1", "1 to many" or (better) "many to many" relations are very
>>difficult to handle in a flat text file. Even in XML, it's quite hard to
>>handle.
>

> For the simplest of all relational (multi-column) databases in python, try:
>
>    http://gadfly.sf.net/
>

> </plug>    Richard

I would second Gadfly as a suitable database for your project.  Better
and faster to use existing tools rather than write one.  If someone
hasn't already pointed it out check out:

	http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

for some handy MP3 related utilities such as reading and updating MP3 tags.

I am looking toward doing a similar thing using wxPython, but as a means
of learning about wxPython.  It may be awhile before I can devote much
time to it.

Roger